Webinar: Make Action Speak Louder Than Pink

It’s October, and that means the pink ribbons are out in force.  You’ve seen them at grocery stores, at restaurants, and at athletic events. Their prevalence is undeniable, but the real question is: do they do any good?

Join BCAction to learn how to Make Action Speak Louder Than Pink during our October webinars co-hosted by author of Pink Ribbon Blues Gayle Sulik and BCAction Program Manager Kim Irish. You’ll learn:

• Why the pink ribbon appears on so many products, especially in October
  • The history of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and its corporate ties
  • How BCAction’s Think Before You Pink campaign has challenged pinkwashers for 10 years
  • Ways you can take action in BCAction’s Raise a Stink! campaign

Dates:

Thursday, October 13 at 1:00 pm Pacific / 3:00 pm Central / 4:00 pm Eastern – Register HERE

Friday, October 14 at 10:00 am Pacific / 12:00 pm Central / 1:00 pm Eastern – Register HERE

1. Posted October 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Here’s what I”m sending to the editor of the Miami Herald. (They lit up the Freedom Tower in pink!)

Oh Give Me a break! A Pink Freedom Tower in Miami? (Is Christo here or something?)

Awareness of Breast Cancer is Not the Cure. It is the ruse of distraction from the corporate greed that keeps The Cure from being released.
    Do you imagine that anyone who had a life threatening disease and procedures would want an annual reminder? If you had a coronary attack or bypass we could make March Red Month to bring awareness. Red cupcakes etc. I think not.
    The cost of breast cancer, any cancer, to many families does not need an annual pink reminder. It’s enough of a killer that we have plenty of survivors with PTSD.

I remember seething in fall of 2006. I had recently received my Stage 2 diagnosis in late Sept. Then pink month came and there were requests for donations at every cash register.
    I wanted to scream, “Awareness! I’ve got all too much awareness about breast cancer because I’m walking around with it in my body and i don’t know how, when & who will take it out yet! And will I have life or not? ”
    Yeah.. Hand over some $$$ for my upcoming costs! (My daughter was with me and I was trying to down play the fear and anger for her sake) Not anymore.

Awareness? I think everyone is all too aware by now. How about a cure? Release it to us.

This is like the war on drugs for our kids with all those red plastic cups inserted into chain link fences spelling out “just say no”. Baking cupcakes & cookies just didn’t do much except continue the sugar rush. (Yes, I was part of it anyway, for the kids sake) Misspent efforts.

Regarding chemo drugs for cancer, from the top down, it’s a behemoth industry much larger and more powerful than our gatherings with pink paraphernalia will ever affect. They are just making too much money to release a cure.

Women in recovery and survivorship know what’s important more than any well wishers. We don’t need reminders that we had/have cancer we need cures. Pink balloons do not cut it. Giving sugar cookies and soda during these events is a shame. You know how they can see cancer cells? By giving you a shot of glucose which races to feed the cancer cells. The cells light up real fast.

On the web, “Think Before You Pink” is uncovering the misnomers and the big pharma industry cover ups.

That 40 years in cancer research hasn’t provided a cure. And where does all that money from volunteering to participate in a…thon go? For example:

” Komen is committed to funding research on causes and prevention of breast cancer, why do they allocate less than 4% of the $1.9 billion (yes, billion) they have raised to these areas?”
    (Source: http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org/?p=1696   Breast Cancer Action)

Happy October. No really… Beautiful fall leaves, the change of season and crisp air. That’s what I usually and will choose to think about. I’m 4 and 1/2 years into treatment, surgeries and recovery thank you very much.

As long as I don’t go shopping in October I’m ok. I’d like to craft a line, a catchy comeback phrase to have when asked to donate:
    “I already donated my 2 breasts. What’s your donation gonna be? Or that of your family or friends? ”  The cashiers are just doing what they are told so I will just smile and pretend everything is alright. But it’s not alright.

Be proactive yes, but don’t buy into the Pinkwashing…from Col Sanders pink Chicken buckets to Pink perfumes with chemicals that cause cancer, etc etc..Be discriminating when donating your time and efforts. Check to see what % of raised funds goes where? How is it spent? Greed is at the core so buyer beware.

If you have a product to sell, you too can jump on the Cancer band wagon and make a buck.

I am certainly in favor for support groups and organization that help guide people through the medical, emotional and financial maze when facing down Cancer. That we join together during grief and cheer the victories in regaining health, sharing laughs is Vital to survival. This is what’s Important…sincere, hands on, 3 dimensional support to individuals and their caregivers.
    Communities committed to helping families, caregivers and survivors are critical, as are seminars, with health care professional input, as to how to survive after Cancer and how to deal with side effects and possible recurrences.

Practical integrative health care, nutritional guidance and caring are available and one of the best such organizations in this area is the Breast Cancer Community (Formerly The Wellness Community)

Affection and Gratitude go to my family and friends support for me during my struggles a few years ago ! Thanks to my doctors and health professionals. Thanks to my musician friends that kept up my spirits during the battle and made me begin playing again. I made a visualization and music recording for people going through Chemo as a result of this process. Been there, done that and I’m leaving you some breadcrumbs on the trail in this way to assist you.
    Let’s stop future suffering. And stop dredging up the old memories with an entire month of “awareness in pink”. Give me a break, will ya?

Just say “No” to Pink. Say “Yes” to Releasing the Cure.

2. Jo Anne Muller
    Posted October 7, 2011 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Loved your passion, Vicki. I was diagnosed in 1994 and upon recovering a year later from double mastectomy and 9 months of Chemotherapy was wondering where I wanted to donate my hard earned time and dollars. Found my way to BCA and have done both and educated myself along the way. It warms my heart that I see thoughts like you expressed becoming apparent to everyone more and more. Companies making money on the backs of women’s fear and death to increase their bottom line makes me despair. So many times it seemed that the train had left the station and society was going down the well intentioned but wrong track to find cause and cure. We still have a long way to go. Come on Women, take off that Pink Ribbon and find out where your dollars are really being spent and is it really doing the work the needs to be done to change the face of this disease.
    And don’t we want to address All Cancers! Not just Breast Cancer. If a whole month of campaigning for change is necessary on this nations calendar lets make it STAMP OUT CANCER MONTH!!!!!!!

As an aside, I found this on the Wellness Community website (serving Mountain View and Walnut Creek, CA)

“Known for twenty years as The Wellness Community, a name change to Cancer Support Community was made in October 2010. This change marked the uniting of two well-known non-profits serving those with cancer — The Wellness Community and Gilda’s Club. United under a new, combined identity, Cancer Support Community is now the largest professionally-led network of cancer support worldwide.”

3. Posted October 15, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Are these webinars archived somewhere? I missed this one both time…first because I can’t do math or read carefully and misfigured the time:( and second because I totally forgot. I’ve enjoyed the other webinars I’ve seen, but I wish they were archived somewhere so I could revisit them.

4. caitlin
    Posted October 17, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

Dawn, we’ve been having some technical difficulties getting them up on our website, but I can send it to you via a file-sharing service.

5. Kimberly
    Posted October 24, 2011 at 5:42 am | Permalink

I know right up front this comment is going to offend the sensibilities of some breast cancer survivors and their supporters; yet I persist.
    Its Sunday evening and I’m watching (not by choice) the evening game of football. The goal posts are pink as is the ribbon emblem in mid-field. The players are festooned in pink headbands, pink sweat towels, pink armbands, pink shoes and OMG… pink mouth guards. Nothing says “I support breast cancer awareness” like spit-filled molded pink plastic. I say…spare me.
    I’m a cancer survivor. We all know that. And pink used to be my favorite color. That was way back when before I was identified by the color. I’m not saying it isn’t a good cause. The pink ribbon folks work tirelessly to promote the awareness of breast cancer and I am positive I have been the recipient of medical expertise that is a direct result of research provided by their fundraising. But let’s face it, you would have to have been in a cave the last 10 years not to be aware that breast cancer is a huge health issue for women. It is the single biggest DUH!! ever. So maybe we can agree that awareness is not the issue…money is.
    So, I have an idea for NFL, MLB and the other sports communities who might think its a great idea to dye Lake Michigan pink. Save the millions you would spend on promotion, publicity and swag and write a freaking check! We’ll all come out ahead.

6. Kathryn Eklund
    Posted November 14, 2011 at 2:20 pm | Permalink

I am a highschool student from wyoming. I found this website and decided to do a project on Pinkwashing because it is everywhere I look. Just the other day I asked my mom what made breast cancer so special from other cancers, and why it got so much more publicity, but she did not know. After finding your website, I finally got my answer. Thank you all for what you do in raising awarness and I will try and do my part in Wyoming.